1959 Euro Panel
As time has gone on, that trailer has come in handy. Borrowed it once to pick up our new desert Baja and blew a tire on the way. Borrowed it again to bring home our '60 Double cab. Borrowed it again to pick up Shelly's '58 Nash Metropolitan. I think we have brought more cars home on Matt's trailer than he has. Matt's a good neighbor and at least four of our cars, are his fault. Thanks Matt. I do however, have to take credit for Matt's 66 Baracuda as I found it next door to my In-Laws place. Isn't the old saying, He who dies with the most toys wins? Matt ... I am in the lead.
These were the pictures that I recieved.
The battery tray is rusted through and the front floors are rusted out. I'll know about the windshield sills when I cut out the old rubber.
The major problems are the rusted front floors, and I'm assuming bad front window sills. A strange problem
This is how I want to roll it? I love the Patina look and while it isn't the original color, I love the rub through and rust marks. My plan is to dump it and roll it as you see below. I'll have to talk to some of the rat rod guys as to how they stop the rust from progressing further
(Above: Yeah that's the front wheel copied and put in place for the rear wheel just to see what it will look like.)
Current work and plansWhen we brought it home, we really didn't have a chance to get out and play with the new toy, so it got parked and covered. Now we are having a tranny built for it, and I'm building an engine for it, so a good cleaning was in order. Another issue that had yet to be resolved was the passenger door was jammed shut and the handles just flapped around. Eventually got that worked out and turned my attention to cleaning it up. Grabbed some polishes and waxes and took a shot at cleaning up the dash, which still has a large amount of original paint. I was plesantly surprised some reflections and shine in the paint resulted. This led me to taking a crack at the outside paint. Tried all the polishes and waxes in my arsenol, with mediocre results. The red and rusty color really had very little to do with paint, but underneath was the OG paint. Not in the best shape mind you, but it was the original and upon closer inspection, there were quite a few dents, but nothing filled. It seems, somewhere in its life, it was painted red which is now mostly oxidized off. The rusty color seemed to rub off fairly easily but still takes quite a bit of elbow grease to get off. That night I started some research on how to prevent the rust from spreading, while keeping the look it had. I found a forum on The Samba with the subject of Patina and a group of people with the same idea I was contemplating. They had some great ideas on products to use to remove the red paint and rust stains. The next day I came home with my supplys of CLR Laquer thinner, easy off, some new polishes, and compounds. So far CLR is the miracle product that has made cleaning up the rusty color such a breeze. The rust had stained the original paint, but the CLR took it right off. The remninants of the red paint took a spray of Easy off, waiting 5 to 10 seconds and then a little scrubbing with a scotch bright pad. At this point it doesn't even resemble the same bus.
This is what I'm going for currently. I'll add some rust spots as I work on the cleaning it up and get some pictures of my work. The roof is covered in surface rust, so I'll have to reshoot it at some point, thus the gray roof. Already have the rack, but need to refinish it. (Summer 2007)
Possible future plansI have worked up a few options using BusSelecta.com and Macromedia Fireworks. I really like the blacked out with the red SingleWheel.com option.
Tetanus - the Patina Panel
|Click Images to enlarge!!!!|